SWEEP 1.02 - an enhanced MineSweeper variant with solvability guarantee
DOWNLOAD NOW! (58K)
What is Sweep ?
Sweep is a variant of the popular game MineSweeper. The objective is to find
all mines hidden in a minefield. The only information you get is the number
of mines adjacent to the squares already uncovered. By logical deduction it
is possible to figure out step by step the locations of the other mines.
- Freeware! You don't have to pay a single buck for playing this great game.
- Solvability guarantee. Unlike other MineSweeper variants, this one never
forces you to guess. For those who want it, though, the game includes a
guess mode, but even this one is fair, since it does not punish wrong guesses
in situations where guessing is the only alternative, because information
has been used up.
- Penalty system. Instead of dying when you hit a mine, you get a time penalty.
- Pause mode. Just press 'P' and the time will be suspended. The playing field
will be covered, however, so that you can't cheat.
- Hint function. Especially useful to newbies who are just learning the game,
the hint function reveals a square whose mined/unmined state can be deduced
with the current information. By trying to figure out the actual deduction
you can improve your abilities as a minesweeper.
- Auto-Solve. Just for fun you may watch the computer solve the board. Please
note that the computer really deduces which squares to mark and which squares
to uncover. It does not cheat by peeking under the squares.
- Variable field parameters. You may select minefield size and mine number
freely. The only limitation is the size of the screen.
- Variable video modes. This game supports VESA modes 640x480, 800x600,
1024x768 and 1280x1024 in 256 colors.
- Comprehensive scores. The highscores list contains detailed information on
the 50 best games. This information includes for instance whether the pause
key has been used and how many times the player has guessed. That way
different players can compare their scores accurately.
- Points. Based on a key that takes difficulty of different board sizes and
number of mines into account, the time taken to solve a board is computed into
a number of points.
- Best Sweeper list. The game maintains a list of the best players, based on
the average number of points scored in the 20 most recent games.
- Highscores list merge. If you play on different computers or want to
compare your scores with those of friends, simply copy the different
"hiscores.dat" files into your sweep directory with different extensions
(e.g. hiscores.2, hiscores.Sam,...) and they will be merged automatically
into the game's highscores list.
Back to main page